Search This Blog

Monday, June 23, 2014

Tuesday featured Herb "Scarlet globemellow"

                    Scarlet Globemellow aka "yerba de la negrita"




            This is one of my all time favorite Herbs 
It is growing wild around here and I look forward to it every year to harvest the benefits are too many to mention, but I will try..

Scarlet Globemallow is also known as Sphaeralcea Coccinea Here in my neck of the woods we call it Yerba De La Negrita (the little black herb good for your hair)
My grandmother has been using this herb ever since I was a little girl she swore by its healing medicinal powers and how it made your hair grow. She Was RIGHT!
Sphaeralcea coccinea (scarlet globemallow) is called Yerba de la Negrita and grows in the southwestern U. S. and in northern Mexico

How to use it:

The upper part of the plant is what is used (not the root).
Make a tea and let it sit and gel/thicken. It forms a very soothing compound for throat, sinuses, bladder, any sort of infection or cold.Very high in antioxidants.
The leaves can be chewed or mashed to make a paste. The paste can be used as a poultice or plaster on inflamed skin, sores, wounds and sore or blistered feet.We use it on cuts/scrapes.
The mashed leaves can be simply used for dry skin as a lotion.
The dried leaves can be dusted on sores or open wounds
Fresh leaves and flowers may be chewed to relieve hoarse or sore throats and upset stomachs.
The whole scarlet globemallow plant may be used to make a tea that will make other medicines taste more palatable.
This incredible herb is known to reduce swellings, improve appetite, relieve upset stomachs, and strengthen voices. The Dakota heyoka people chewed the plants to a paste and rubbed it on their skin as protection from sun burning and poison ivy.

Hair Treatment:
 This can also be used to curl your hair if you put it in your hair and then go out into the sunlight. 
You can also boil the leaves and flowers into a tea and use the tea as a hair rinse 
 
Here is how I use it on my hair.
I crush leaves making a paste then plaster it onto my hair I wrap a hot towel and leave for 20 mins then I make a tea rinse to rinse it out
Your hair will thank you for it, it stimulates the roots and  promotes growth along with repair damages hair follicles .

      Here are some before and after of this magical herb http://www.aloeveracentral.com/hairtreatment

4 comments:

  1. can i make a tea, put in small spray bottle and spray and leave in hair

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to know how to make a shampoo out of this herb for my thinning hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hair loss, you grind into a paste..Do you mix any thing else in to make a paste?
    How often do I do this?

    ReplyDelete